5 Tips for an Effective Kickstarter Video

5 Tips for an Effective Kickstarter Video

Creating videos is something Noah Borer, the co-founder of Toronto-based Unbuttoned Media, was born to do. After graduating college he headed to La-La Land (the destination, not the movie) to work in Los Angeles where he cut his video teeth on movie sets and the Dr. Phil Show. He moved back to Toronto a few […]

Crowdfunding Interview: Shelagh Cummins, Productive!

Crowdfunding Interview: Shelagh Cummins, Productive!

Do you have a fabulous product that will make people’s lives easier but only your clients know about? Do you need to get beyond your tribe and build greater awareness so that you can actually find a broader audience for your product that wants it too? If so, then you’ll be interested in learning how […]

The Weekly Download – November 11, 2016

The Weekly Download – November 11, 2016

To say this has been an interesting week is putting it mildly. Needless to say, you’ve probably seen more than your fair share of U.S. election coverage, so… today I’m sharing some things that you may have missed in all the hoopla. This Remembrance Day Show Your Respect First and foremost, today is Remembrance Day. Please […]

The Weekly Download – October 14, 2016

The Weekly Download – October 14, 2016

I hope you’ve had a wonderful week. It’s sure flown by, hasn’t it? There’s been so much in the news and if you’re tired of hearing about politics, please accept my apologies in advance. The upcoming U.S. election is difficult to avoid but I promise this week’s post includes stories only with a fresh perspective. If you […]

Interview: Kickstarter Whiz Lora DiFranco of Free Period Press

Interview: Kickstarter Whiz Lora DiFranco of Free Period Press

Lora DiFranco is no stranger to crowdfunding. She came on my radar about a year ago when I saw her now successfully-funded Kickstarter campaign for You Got This: A Mantra Coloring Book. I sent her a message during the campaign and was delighted not only at how quickly she replied but how warm and friendly […]

Interview: In the Crowdfunding Trenches with Carly Shuler of Kindoma

Interview: In the Crowdfunding Trenches with Carly Shuler of Kindoma

Have you ever heard an idea and thought, “That makes so much sense”, “Why didn’t I think of that”, or “I wish this existed 10 years ago.” That’s exactly how I felt when I was speaking with Carly Shuler, the co-founder of Kindoma, for a recent Ada’s Sisters podcast. Kindoma is aimed at connecting kids […]

64% of crowdfunding campaigns fail. The other 36% do this.

64% of crowdfunding campaigns fail. The other 36% do this.

Most crowdfunding campaigns do not “make it.” They don’t pass “go”. They don’t get funded. That was a hard truth for me to swallow when I began working on crowdfunding campaigns. And it was even more difficult for the founder who was wide-eyed and hopeful that his product would be funded. But it’s true → […]

15 Most Common Crowdfunding Mistakes to Avoid

15 Most Common Crowdfunding Mistakes to Avoid

“… feel free to illustrate what went wrong on [OUR] campaign. The example may help others. I certainly learned a lot.’ I would rather my failure on that piece help others. It certainly motivated the stuffing out of me.” – Dana T. Wendt, Founder, jouzge When was the last time you worked on what seemed […]

Crowdfunding Basics Every Entrepreneur Needs to Know

Crowdfunding Basics Every Entrepreneur Needs to Know

Do you think you’re the next Kanye West, expecting to raise $53 million in a single tweet? If you read my blog post Crowdfunding: Failure to Plan = Plan to Fail, you likely know that crowdfunding is a lot of hard work. Just like the old saying goes, Rome wasn’t built in a day! But […]

How crowdfunding can help you create the next Veronica Mars success story

How crowdfunding can help you create the next Veronica Mars success story

Last year I was part of a successfully funded Kickstarter campaign for an independent book publisher who was supporting authors and artists with his new experiential book/activity concept. It may or may not be what typically comes to mind when you think of crowdfunding, but I would say the opportunity for unexpected niches like, authors, […]