Happy Friday! We’re back again with another installment of the Weekly Buzz, where we share the latest and greatest in tech and digital marketing.
This week, we’re diving into the highlights from Apple’s Wonderlust event, the launch of TikTok Shop, new advertising features from Pinterest, and the biggest challenges facing social media marketers in 2023.
Apple’s Wonderlust event unveils iPhone 15, Watch Series 9, and more innovations
Apple’s iPhone 15 event, aptly titled ‘Wonderlust,’ marked more than just the launch of the latest iPhone, and it certainly had the internet abuzz this week.
Here’s a roundup of some of the major announcements made during the event:
- iPhone15: The new iPhone 15 lineup introduces USB-C for the first time, along with the Dynamic Island feature. It boasts the A16 chip, a 48MP main camera, and all-day battery life. The base model starts at $799, with preorders beginning on September 15th and shipping on September 22nd.
- iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max: These models feature a USB-C port, a customizable Action Button, thinner bezels, and a titanium build. They include the A17 Pro processor, fast USB-C charging, and a 5x telephoto camera. The iPhone 15 Pro starts at $999, and the Pro Max starts at $1,199. Preorders start on September 15th, with shipping on September 22nd.
- Watch Series 9: The new Apple Watch comes with an ultra wideband chip, an S9 processor, and a “double-tap” gesture for ease of use. It starts at $399 with GPS or $499 with GPS and cellular, available on September 22nd.
- Apple Watch Ultra 2: Similar to Series 9, it features an ultra wideband chip, an S9 processor, and a stunning 3,000-nit display. Priced at $799 with GPS and cellular, it’s available for preorder today and ships on September 22nd.
Looking for the full list of innovations announced at Wonderlust? Check out this roundup from The Verge.
TikTok Shop officially launches in the U.S.
TikTok has officially launched TikTok Shop in the United States, offering a new dimension to online shopping. With features like shoppable videos and LIVE streams integrated into users’ feeds, it aims to change how people shop online. This move represents TikTok’s ambition to reshape the online shopping landscape and capitalize on the popular hashtag trend #TikTokMadeMeBuyIt.
Brands can set up a dedicated “Shop Tab,” allowing users to discover, read reviews, and purchase directly from their profiles. TikTok Shop also offers an affiliate program for influencers and integrates with popular e-commerce platforms like Shopify and WooCommerce, making it easier for sellers to join.
While TikTok Shop holds social commerce and influencer marketing potential, data privacy and security concerns persist. TikTok is committed to addressing these concerns by working with trusted third-party payment platforms for transactions, prioritizing user privacy and security.
Pinterest unveils game-changing features at Pinterest Presents: A new era for shopping and creativity
Pinterest has announced a series of innovative products and features during its annual global advertiser summit, Pinterest Presents. These updates are designed to enhance the entire consumer journey on the platform, from discovery to decision to action.
For advertisers, Pinterest now offers a range of ad formats to engage users with a strong intent to discover and shop for products. Notable features include:
- Premiere Spotlight: Brands can exclusively own premium ad placements in search and the home feed, ensuring maximum visibility.
- Showcase ads: This interactive ad format lets users preview and explore a brand’s content by swiping, creating rich and engaging experiences.
- Quiz ads: Brands can personalize their ideas with quiz ads, where users answer questions for a more tailored shopping experience.
In addition to these ad formats, Pinterest is introducing new features for agencies, including enhancements to its Business Manager tool. The new “Creative Studio” offers brands a quick way to generate lifestyle imagery for product Pins, streamlining the creative process.
Pinterest is also making shopping more accessible with features like mobile deep links, direct links, and expanded e-commerce integrations. This aims to simplify the transition from discovery to purchase for users.
But it’s not all about the brands – a new consumer innovation called “Collages” allows users to personalize ideas, visualize possibilities, and curate interactive visual content from Pins. This immersive feature adds a joyful element to shopping on Pinterest.
Together, these updates reflect Pinterest’s commitment to enhancing user experiences and creating a positive space for online shopping and creativity.
Hootsuite report unveils social media marketing challenges in 2023
Hootsuite’s recent survey of over 3,800 social media professionals sheds light on their dynamic roles in an evolving industry. Social media managers take on various responsibilities, adapting to changing platforms, strategies, audience dynamics, and workforce scenarios.
Most social marketers split their time between social tasks and other lines of work—and they’re totally overwhelmed 😵💫— Hootsuite 🦉 (@hootsuite) September 12, 2023
Learn how to become a social media full-timer to alleviate stress and do more of what you love. Read our new career report: https://t.co/oCFj8IjaYu pic.twitter.com/tEm2fDVgpP
The survey provides valuable insights into their job expectations, satisfaction, compensation, and more. As the industry transforms, social media managers prove their resilience and adaptability in a fast-paced digital landscape.
For all the detailed findings, access the full 80-page report.
Does anyone else feel that slight chill in the air? It’s us, immediately.